Monday, May 23, 2011

After the rush...

...inevitably comes the crash. That's where I am. Whenever there is a busy season of shows, open studios, grant applications, end of the semester stuff, etc., there is always the extreme quiet that follows. And a massive head cold. I'm not good at admitting that I'm sick. I'll try to do as much as I do when I'm well. Like biking 50+ miles last week... in the rain... while sweating, feverish, and dizzy from congestion. It finally caught up to me today. When I woke up I realized I wasn't going to be able to go anywhere, at least not fast. So I took the day to try and be a normal sick person. Probably a good idea since it took me 2 hrs to move from my bed to the couch. Of course then once I was sitting up I realized I was really really bored.

But because I can't just watch movies all day and be unproductive like a normal sick person I'm going to catch up on posting some art. So here is another batch of cafe sketches. I admit I have been loosing steam on the cafe sketches and will probably have to change it up again soon and find some new inspiration. Maybe I will go back to sketching at concerts or join in on some life drawing sessions now that I have a little more time. Or landscapes when it stops raining already. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgh.

self portrait @ L.A. Burdick, Harvard Square

This is a self portrait I drew at LA Burdick. I used to go there more when I was in between jobs and could visit at times where there was seating. I decided to break my Biscuit habit and go again except there weren't many people to draw. But there were some mirrors so I tried a self portrait. It doesn't look exactly like me but I still like the overall composition.

@ the biscuit on the patio, somerville MA

Now that the weather is a little better (at least some days) I can get some different angles of people on the patio at the Biscuit. But it's harder to be discreet when drawing people since all the seating faces inward. I like this sketch (above) and was enjoying pencil for a bit. However the next few drawings are a bit uninspired to me. I'm starting to feel like they're all looking the same. People talking. People eating. People typing. I feel like there's something missing but I'm not sure what....

@ the biscuit on the patio, somerville MA

@ the biscuit, somerville MA

@ the biscuit, somerville MA

I think this very old sketch is a hint to what is missing:

guillermo 2

It's a sketch of my friend Guillermo in Los Angeles (2006?) which I should probably re-scan for a better representative image.The text reads "I am ready to work I am so bored every day..." which is what he was saying as I drew him. I think I want to draw portraits of people that are less voyeuristic, less from the outside. Perhaps of friends. Perhaps over serious conversations like we had that evening.

4 comments:

Alison Fennell Illustration said...

Superb sketching on site! Love the authentic feel that creates - Thanks for posting these - Alison

limerick.kaye said...

Your work is lovely.

nikeairmaxshoes90 said...

As the Adidas slogan states, Yamaha Fairings
nothing is impossible. Every brand has the chance of ranking to be the most recognized brand sneakers shoes.Onitsuka Tiger Shoes
Furthermore, sneakers shoes can be categorized into three main subcategories. That is Athletic sneaker shoes, Onitsuka Tiger Shoes
casual sneaker shoes and fitness sneakers. More specially, based on the variety of different sports, athletic sneakers Monster Headphones consist of baseball sneakers, basketball sneakers, tennis sneakers, football sneakers, soccer sneakers and hiking shoes.

Anonymous said...

Every good blog has two features, they have a very good topic and you see lot of good comments. Its blogging that has made me know new things everyday. I absolutely sure that people in this world have come closer in their personal world. There so many things working for a blog and the topic. If you get a chance pop up by my page, maybe you would like cultured freshwater pearl.You can visit our fresh water pearl necklace. stretch pearl bracelet have good quality.Its just a flat world now because of blogs like this one, I appreciate it.